There's Still Time to Giddy Up and Give
Therapy sessions for abused children, meals for homebound seniors, shelter for families in need, and respite care for individuals with lifelong disabilities are just some of the services the United Way of Florence County (UWFC) funds through our campaign. Every year, we run our campaign to fundraise for these services and many more that our seventeen partner agencies offer to the individuals in Florence County. By having the UWFC take on the responsibility of fundraising, our agencies are able to focus more of their time, money, and efforts on doing what they do best... improving lives in our community. Last year, through the donations raised the UWFC campaign, our agencies were able to provide:
- 3,545 individuals with either a meal and/or a night's stay in a shelter.
- 3,066 youth with guidance, homework help, and leadership development.
- 52,482 delivered meals to homebound seniors.
- 503 children who were the victims of abuse or neglect with counseling and therapy sessions.
- 1,278 un-insured individuals with necessary dental and/or medical treatment.
- 8,085 individuals with financial assistance to prevent eviction or keep utilities connected.
On behalf of the UWFC and our partner agencies, we want to extend our deepest gratitude to every company, employee, and individual who donated to our 2016-2017 "Giddy Up and Give" campaign. When individuals like you are willing to give, these are the results we can achieve.
Although we are extremely thankful for the donations we have received, we are still short of this year's campaign goal by 8%. We know that after being hit with the 2015 flood and 2016 hurricane, many of you have had to take care of your own families, but there are still many families and individuals in our area that are struggling to recover. For every dollar our campaign is short, that is a dollar we are not able to send to our agencies to help people in need. If we want to continue to provide funding to these agencies and helping as many individuals as we can, it is very important for us to get as close to our goal of $1.2 million as possible.
This year, the money raised through the campaign will go to help support the seventeen agencies listed below:
- American Red Cross-Eastern SC Chapter
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Pee Dee Area
- Boys & Girls Clubs of the Pee Dee Area
- CARE House of the Pee Dee
- The Chrysalis Center of Circle Park
- Civil Air Patrol
- Florence Area Literacy Council
- Florence County Disabilities & Special Needs
- Florence Family YMCA
- Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina
- Lighthouse Ministries
- Mercy Medicine Free Clinic
- Pee Dee Area Council Boy Scouts of America
- Pee Dee Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Assault
- Pee Dee Speech & Hearing Center
- The Salvation Army
- Senior Citizens Association in Florence County
Even if you can only donate a dollar, we encourage everyone in the community to do what they can to support these agencies and your fellow community members. A dollar could end up being the difference between someone getting the help they need to change their life or just being another name still on an agency's waiting list. To donate, you can mail in or drop off your donations at 1621 W. Palmetto Street in Florence. We also accept donations online at our website at www.uwflorence.org or by phone at 843-662-2407. The last day to donate to this campaign is Friday, June 30, 2017.